Thursday, October 13, 2011

Veggies From Our Garden

A few posts back, I highlighted Tim's summer garden. Each year we have at least one vegetable that seems to over produce. Last year we had tons and tons of zucchini, but this year the jalapeño emerged as the front runner.  We stopped making a direct effort to "tend" to the garden once school started, but the jalapeños just keep coming - even after Hurricane Irene!  

In addition to the abundance of hot-and-spicy peppers, we had a great (first ever) green bean crop.  I really wanted to can the beans, but I didn't have a canner. I realize I could have purchased one, but I'm definitely the "research before you buy" shopper. I was afraid I would miss the window of available time to perserve the beans while reading and debating over canners.  We decided to freeze the beans in dinner portion bags.

 Wash the beans
 Snap the beans
 Boil the beans quickly.
 Blanch the beans to stop any additional cooking (in ice water)
 Dry the beans
 Label, vacuum seal and freeze.


I must say, Tim is the gardner with the green thumb.  I am so thankful for his hard work. We have throughly enjoyed the fruits (or veggies) of his labor.


Kelly Anne 

No comments: