Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Flower Girl, Ring Bearer & Cake Accessories!

I'm adding another wedding update, and in this edition I'm highlighting a few DIY projects that are "semi-homemade." In some cases there is no need to reinvent the wheel. Sometimes a few pre-made pieces just need a special touch and a little sprucing up.


The first semi-homemade project was the ring bearer pillow and flower girl basket. Matching sets can be purchased on-line to coordinate with any brides wedding colors, and I've seen these sets priced at anywhere from $20 to $60! Not even kidding. There were definitely aspects of our wedding that I knew were important enough to pay those increased  "wedding" prices, but pillows and baskets were not one of those aspects.

For the flower girl basket, I purchased a simple wicker basket at Michael's. I also purchased ribbon in my wedding colors. A quick tip, check the Dollar Tree's selection of ribbon before buying at Wal-Mart or a local craft store. The Dollar Tree often has great colors and the amount of ribbon is perfect for small projects like pillows and baskets.
Our flower girl Lola with her basket
I used my hot-glue gun and ribbon making skills to add the navy and green accents to the basket.  I was super excited with how it turned out.
Total cost including basket and ribbon = $5, and the ribbon was used on two additional project.


For the ringer bearer pillow, I purchased a simple pillow from the wedding section at Wal-Mart. This pillow was actually on sale and was definitely not my style as it included a gold ribbon bow and two gold-heart charms. 
Our ring bearer Aiden was a little overwhelmed :)
I cut off the gold bows and charms. There was a ribbon, that wrapped all the way around the pillow, that was impossible to remove; however, I was able to use the thicker navy blue ribbon to completely cover the original ribbon. Then, I added the narrower green ribbon and attached  a bow in both colors.  
Total cost of pillow (not including ribbon because I already included that cost in the basket total) = $7


 The next semi-homemade project was our cake cutter and cake server set. Again, these can be purchased for upwards of $100+, and I realize that some brides may place a significant amount of importance on these items (especially if a bride is considering these items as keepsakes). However, I knew that a cake serving set was not a priority for me, and that I would be able to create something cute in my budget.


Again, I checked the wedding section of Wal-Mart and found an inexpensive serving set. The set originally came with small white bows around the handles, which I removed.  Using a hot-glue gun and the same navy blue and green ribbon, I added bows to coordinate with our wedding colors.
The serving set beside our beautiful cake
I was super happy with our serving set and even though they were not super expensive or fancy, I still consider our set a keepsake from our special day.
Total cost of serving set (not including ribbon) = $12

Total Cost of 3 projects (coordinating basket, pillow and serving set) = $24!

These were three projects that took a little creativity, a little hot glue and a little amount of money. I really enjoyed putting these items together; I had a lot of fun! Remember, there are definitely times when reinventing the wheel is not necessary. Tap into your crafty side, break out the glue gun and have fun coordinating all those little wedding-day details.  
Kelly Anne
photos by me, Rodney/Gail Sadler, Martha Ratcliff, Heather Watkins, 
and Kimberly Ponthiuex of Little Moments Photography

No comments: