Sunday, September 18, 2011

YooHoo, Over Here!

Here I am! Boy have I been busy, but hope to be back and blogging more frequently very soon.  For the time being here's what I've been up to...


I've been settling in at my new school.
New School. New Staff. New Students & TAs.
New commute = 12 minutes!


I'm helping coach the JV and Varsity volleyball teams at Nash Central High.
 We definitely have a great team of girls when they keep their heads in the game.
 I'm with the Bulldogs every afternoon.


(the image above displays the counties from cohort I, counties from our cohort(II) include:
Granville, Vance, Franklin, Nash, Edgecombe, and Martin).

Tim and I both are honored to be members of the Northeast Leadership Academy, otherwise known as "NELA." Similar to Teach For America's mission to place highly effective teachers in low-performing/low-income schools, NELA plans to place highly effective school leaders in schools across the rural northeast region of NC.

NELA is a division of North Carolina State University's Graduate School of Education.

To reach the goal (of placing highly effective change agents in rural ENC schools), the master's program has been designed to rigorously prepare us for the challenges specific to rural communities and schools. Currently, this includes day long sessions at least one Saturday a month, a number of night sessions and a few full weekdays as well. Next semester the program kicks into high gear and we'll be in day long sessions every Tuesday and most Saturdays. 


I will definitely devote a full blog post to NELA one day soon. 


On top of all the lesson planning, teaching, coaching and grad schooling, I have also been dealing with a terrible case of allergies/cold/sinuses. Thankfully (after 12 days of misery), a cocktail of MucinexD and Amoxicillin seems to be doing the trick.


Finally, I have been spending what little free time I do have obsessed with Pinterest.com. If you haven't visited this fabulous site, please click the link above with caution, as your productivity will decrease for sure. Pinterest is a virtual cork board of ideas in everything from fashion and home decore to recipes, quotes and art.  Proceed at your own risk. 
I warned you.


So that's where I've been and what I've been up to lately.  I hope to be back with a few recipe blogs, updates on our summer garden, a few tips on vegetable preservation and more random ramblings very soon.



Kelly Anne


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog! Keep it coming! I'm looking forward to hear about your classroom and what all you are doing with your student. (may have to send some private messages)

Anonymous said...

that was me!! Martha